Sunday, January 14, 2007

First attempt with the SLT mount

Image of the spiral galaxy NGC 2776 taken by the JMU Robotic Telescope. The telescope took this picture for me last month. Cool!!


Today the sun shone brightly!

The first day that it hasn't rained for weeks!

Tonight was clear, so I took out my Celestron SLT mount with the Skywatcher ST80 fitted to the mount. I thought alignment might be tricky, but it wasn't, I set up the mount at the back of the garden and did a three star alignment. I just chose three bright stars and away it went!
From my handset list I chose the Orion Nebula, pressed ENTER and there it was in the eyepiece! Tried a few others in the list to check the slew on the scope...it worked fine! Tracking perfect!

A nice piece of kit...i'm really pleased. I now want to link the SLT to my Laptop so that I can select targets from the computer and hopefully be able to image some of the objects listed.

4 comments:

Albireo said...

Good luck with your new equipment and clear skies.

Albireo said...

Good luck with your new equipment and clear skies

Sam Hawkins said...

Glad you like your new mount Steve. Sounds like you had great fun.Can't wait to see some images soon.

p.s: Nice image of NGC 2776! :)

Sam Hawkins said...

Glad you like your new mount Steve. Sounds like you had great fun.Can't wait to see some images soon.

p.s: Nice image of NGC 2776! :)