Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Man on the Moon 40 Years ago!


Fourteen years old, four days before my birthday. I had watched the Lunar Landing live on television at about Nine O'Clock last night. I stayed up late to watch Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the Moon. I seem to remember going to bed about 2.00am and then getting up later to watch the live pictures. I was truely amazed with it all!

I stayed up all night until I had to start my morning paper round. The papers were full of news of the Lunar Landing and loads of pictures. I managed to get copies of some of the papers and took them home to read. I still don't remember what happened to them!

Last week I bought a copy of 'The Daily Mirror' dated Monday, July 21st 1969 from WH Smiths. Brought back many memories!

I can't remember what happened after during the rest of the day...I can't have been at school as it finished last week (I think!)



The image above is the only photo taken by Buzz Aldrin of Neil Armstrong on the surface of the Moon. He forgot to take pictures of Neil! It is part of a panorama of the Lunar surface taken by Buzz.


http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11pan1103147HR.jpg


President Barack Obama chats with Apollo 11 astronauts, from left, Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins and Neil Armstrong, Monday, July 20, 2009, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, on the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing.


I've now got quite a collection of stuff to celebrate the 40th Aniversary:


The Sky at Night 'A Night to Remember' DVD


NASA's Greatest Missions 'Landing the Eagle' DVD


The Daily Mirror edition 21st July 1969


Man on the Moon, Sky at Night magazine Special Edition


Moon 3D


Haynes Workshop Manual of Apollo 11

No comments: