Monday, May 14, 2012

Solar filter results

My first attempt at taking photos of the Sun.

These images of the Sun were taken late in the afternoon on 12th May with my Skywatcher 80ED Pro and the Baader Solar Filter that I made. The sunspots are amazing and you can also see some detail of the surface. I used the Canon EOS350d with a variety of manual settings to try to get the best result. The image in White light was taken with the camera set to 1/2000s and ISO 400. With the colour filter the settings were different.


Taken wth the colour filter and Baader AstroSolar Safety Film (Click to enlarge)


Taken in White light with the Baader AstroSolar Safety Film (Click to enlarge)


Close-up of the large Sunspot

I also took some photos using the 2x and 3x Barlow lens, but with the camera I had to use them with the star diagonal fitted. Although I captured the images they were spoilt because I could see specks of dust on the mirror.

No comments: