Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Elusive Whirlpool Galaxy (M51)


The Whirlpool Galaxy in the constellation of Ursa Major (The Plough) is more or less at zenith (straight up!) My computerised mount won't cope with this as it is outside it's limits for tracking so I have tried to find this elusive galaxy with my Skywatcher 130M.

I know where to look, but I just can't find it! If I could at least see a fuzzy object, I could point the camera and take some long exposure images and maybe see something.

So...I called on the BRT to try to take an image for me...and here it is!

This would be a super object to capture with my own equipment...maybe one day?

Here are the settings of the BRT in Tenerife:

Request ID
49535
Job ID
35899
Object Type
MESSIER
Object ID
51
Object Name
The Whirlpool Galaxy
Exposure Time
120000 ms
Filter Type
Colour
Dark frame
Instant
Site Name
Tenerife
Telescope Type Name
Galaxy
Telescope Name
Galaxy Camera
Request Time
22:59 on Friday 25 May 2007 (21:59:51 UTC)
Completion Time
04:22 on Monday 28 May 2007 (03:22:33 UTC)
Comments
Whirlpool Galaxy
Status
Complete

No comments: