Friday, August 03, 2007

Widefield M27



Another image captured the other night, M27 - Dumbell Nebula. (bottom right) better if you click the image to make it bigger.

This one is really hard to find, but with the SLT mount controlled by my laptop I was able to simply point and click on screen and the scope with the Canon 350D fitted slewed straight to the object. I discovered that it takes about 5 minutes or so for the mount to properly settle before capturing the images. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 'bulb' for the 350D (remote exposure switch) came from China and cost about £2! This has been great for long exposures of over 30s. I also used the Canon capture software to take single exposures and then check the focus, problem is that the images are saved to the desktop in .TIFF format, so a lot of messing about converting the files was needed as my version of PSP will not accept .TIFF files.

Anyhow..here is the final cropped image of M27, stacked 5 subs at 30s each, iso 1600, processed in Photoshop.

No comments: