Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Pleaides M45

Beautiful image of M45 taken on 10th December.
The Pleaides is a wonderful cluster of stars that is now visible high in the South East. I used to call it the 'Little Bear' because it looks like a minature version of Ursa Major 'The Plough'.
This cluster is very special as all the bright stars are blue and very hot. This makes nearby gas to glow because of the energy and produces nebulocity. I have taken images before of M45, but could not capture the glow. This time I managed to capture M45 with it's blue nebulocity and looks beautiful!
Tonight the sky is clear and the Moon sits low in the Southern sky, but it is frosty and really cold, I really didn't feel like going outside tonight. My next task is to try to image the Horsehead Nebula and Flame Nebula. I have never seen these before, but judging by the results of the Orion Nebula, i'm sure I can capture a reasonable image.
I'm beginning to think about changing some of my equipment, the Skywatcher 130m is brilliant for planetary work with the webcam, but I cannot attach the Canon 350D. Should I replace the scope with a Skywatcher ED80 refractor? This can easily be attached to the SLT mount...hmm....still thinking!

No comments: