Thursday, December 28, 2006

My Christmas pressy!



Christmas has been and gone! I think the best part of Christmas is getting ready for it, especially when you work in school with children. The weeks leading up to Christmas with the Nativity Play, Christmas Carols, Christmas Dinner, Christmas Mass.... I could go on forever! Kids love it! Teachers love it too...honest! Thank you for all the presents brought in by the children in my class. One really nice present from Megan - A lovely Space 2007 Calendar now sits proudly on my desk.

So what did Santa bring me this year?

A super Celestron SLT Computer Controlled Telescope - Nexstar. I thought for some time before deciding to go for this one. Reviews have been good and the mount can be controlled from the handset or a laptop computer. My problem at the moment is that finding objects in space, particularly smaller objects are hard to find and somketimes I never find them at all. Although I know roughly where to look in the sky for objects like the Whirlpool Galaxy and the Pinwheel Galaxy, I cannot locate them. The SLT will hopefully allow me find these objects and maybe image them. The SLT mount came with Celestron 60mm scope, but it is only the mount that I want to use so I have now put my Skywatcher ST80 onto the mount which gives me a much richer field of view.

The weather this week has been misty and yesterday and today raining. Tonight the sky has cleared and the Moon is visible, but the wet atmosphere has made it difficult to see any stars. I think i'll wait for a clear night to try align and try out the SLT.

1 comment:

Sam Hawkins said...

Glad you had a great christmas- let's just pray for clear skies in 2007!